in your essay analyze how the definition of what it means to be quot american quot and the rights of quot americans quot changed between 1865 and today 1 |cheapassignmenttutors.com
in your essay analyze how the definition of what it means to be quot american quot and the rights of quot americans quot changed between 1865 and today 1 | cheapassignmenttutors.com
- PROMPT: From 1865-present, the conception of who is an “American” deserving of the full rights of citizenship has changed over time. In this essay, we want you to review the answers you gave to the reflective questions and think back over what you have learned in this course. Also consider the historical context, causality, and change over time when describing thinking about changes in the definition of who is, and who is not, an American. In your essay analyze how the definition of what it means to be “American” and the rights of “Americans” changed between 1865 and today.
Hint 1: Think broadly about what it means to be American first, then think on groups pressing their case for inclusion, while considering issues of ethics and civics. You must include social/cultural/socio-economic analysis in this essay. You may include political (but not required). What primary documents have you read that address these issues? Don’t forget the key individuals and events to use as evidence. Successful essays will consider a broad range of evidence in support of arguments.
- Hint 2: You may wish to concept map or outline key issues first and then pull out your three strongest arguments to develop more fully in the essay.
- Must be in Rule of Three format with a introduction and strong thesis statement, 3 paragraphs of the body (each with their own thesis statement – one for each of the three key points of your overall thesis), and conclusion. So a minimum of 5 paragraphs.
- This is a fact based essay, you must provide specific and detailed evidence for your hypotheses.
- You must utilize a minimum of three primary sources from the assigned materials (primary sources posted in the Blackboard course module OR found under the primary source section of each chapter in American Yawp only; you may not utilize sources linked to in the reference section of American Yawp) as evidence in your essay
- You must utilize a minimum of three secondary sources from the assigned materials as evidence in your essay
- You may only use materials assigned in this course for your essay (we have vetted all the materials utilized in this course, other materials may not be appropriate or accurate). If you use outside sources your grade will be docked.
- DO NOT QUOTE sources, paraphrase in your own words and cite
- You must consider ethics/ethical decision making in this essay
- Don’t forget about historical geography, where something takes place matters and it may be important to your argument.
- You must use Turabian citation style in this essay; all citations must be footnote style citations (no parenthetical cites allowed, no endnotes/works cited at the end, you need footnotes). Be sure to review how to properly cite a primary source that may be contained in another work and be sure to use page numbers where possible.
- 12 pt type, 1 inch margins, double-spaced
How the Assignment is Graded
The assignment is worth up to 200 points. The following factors are taken into account when we grade:
RULE OF THREE THESES – Do you have a well thought out and clear overall thesis in your introduction? Do you have a thesis statement for each of your three paragraphs of the body? Do the paragraphs of the body follow the overall thesis statement?
EVIDENCE – You must have solid evidence for each point you raise in the thesis. Evidence is not simply a statement, there must be an explanation of how that evidence supports the thesis statement. Example: If you were writing a paragraph on the causes of the Cold War, you might use the Baruch Plan as an example. Simply writing “the Baruch Plan was a cause of the Cold War” in your paragraph would not be enough and would not be analytical. However, the following sentences do provide a good analysis of this piece of evidence:”One cause of the Cold War was the failure of the United States and the Soviet Union to agree upon a plan for nuclear disarmament after World War II. The Baruch Plan, presented by the US, would maintain the American atomic weapon advantage for the foreseeable future. This played into Stalin’s suspicions of the Americans’ true motivations toward the USSR.”Did you use the minimum number of primary sources? secondary sources?
HISTORICAL ACCURACY, CLARITY, AND LOGIC
Is your argument clear and does it make sense? Is it historically accurate? Does your evidence prove your point? Does your analysis answer the prompt? Have you considered the concepts of ethics and civics, change over time, and any relevant historical geography factors in your essay?
Have you properly cited? Have you used Turabian/Chicago? You must also FOOTNOTE. Parenthetical cites are NOT allowed.
GRAMMAR, SPELLING AND MECHANICS
Is the essay up to college standards for grammar and spelling? Is it an analytical essay? Does it meet minimum length and formatting requirements?
The link for the textbook is here: http://www.americanyawp.com/text/26-the-affluent-s… , you scroll to the bottom of each page to move between chapters.
I have also attached my two reflective questions sets to assist with writing the paper.