interpersonal communications class non verbal communication research paper | cheapassignmenttutors.com
Conduct a participant observation of nonverbal communication during a structured period of time (e.g., sitting at a cafÃ©, during a sports event, while at work, at the gym, etc.). Take field notes throughout the course of your observation.
Spend time looking through your field notes and pick one nonverbal communicative act that peaks your interest.
(This means: go to an event or a social location to observe non-verbal communication between people. An example: go to a cafe to observe how a customer communicate with the server vs how the customer communicate with a friend. you should focus on their non-verbal cues such as facial expressions, posture, position, gestures, tone etc…)
Please refer to the eight non-verbal code:
Kinesics: gestures, posture
Oculesics: eye contact
Proxemics: physical proximity how far one is from other person
Artifacts: personal possessions displayed to others
Vocalics: vocal tone, candidates
Physical appearance: how we dress
NOTE: Keep the field notes as you will type them up and include, on a separate page, in your final uploaded document after the reference section.
1000 words (max). Papers should be double-spaced and in Times New Roman 12 point font, with 1-inch margins, stapled, include page numbers, and include a cover page. Please include a reference section and format the citations according to APA 6th edition (Chicago and MLA Style are also acceptable). This paper should have a minimum of three scholarly sources.
Paper Writing Organization
Papers will generally follow the following format.
- In your introduction, you should explain the context you decided to focus on and the nonverbal communicative act you decided to focus on and why. Specifically, you should produce the following:
- (1) An attention getter that explains the context you decided to focus on
- (2) thesis
- (3) preview statement that identifies how the paper will unfold
- In the body of your paper, use the book and at least three other scholarly sources to illuminate what was being communicated through this nonverbal gesture. Be creative and thoughtful in your description of the purpose of this gesture. Think about such things as gender, power, culture, context, etc. If you perceived something about the nonverbal communication, use scholarly sources to support your insights. Or, if you were confused about something in the nonverbal encounter, use the scholarly sources to help generate understanding about what occurred in the interaction.
Papers will be evaluated upon the following criteria (in no particular order):
Clarity in writing
Grammar and syntactical errors (edit your work, and have someone else edit as well)
Transitions between paragraphs, thoughts/ideas (consider using section headings)
*Coherency of narrative
Attention getter that introduces the subject
Preview statement that states the thesis of your paper and provides a forecast of the paperâ€™s organization
Sufficient explanation of the context examined and the nonverbal encounter
Sufficient explanation about why you decided to focus on the particular nonverbal communicative act
Thoughtful application of scholarly research to deepen your understanding about what occurred in the interaction
Paragraph that provides a crisp conclusion to the paper
*Adherence to APA 6th
Proper title page, running header, and page numbers
Proper in-text citation
Proper reference page
Journals that might help your research:
Human Communication Research
Western Journal of Communication
Journal of Nonverbal Behavior
Journal of Social and Personal Relationships
Journal of Personal Relationships
Journal of Communication
*I highly recommend doing a Google scholar search first.
PAPER GRADING RUBRIC
- A- AND ABOVE = MEETS ALL AREAS
- B- AND ABOVE = PAPER IS LACKING IN ANY ONE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS
- C- AND ABOVE = PAPER IS LACKING EXTENSIVELY IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS AND/OR ONE AREA IS MISSING FROM THE DOCUMENT
- D+ AND BELOW = PAPER IS SEVERELY LACKING IN MORE THAN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING AREAS AND/OR ONE OR MORE AREAS ARE MISSING FROM THE DOCUMENT. THE DOCUMENT REPRESENTS LITTLE CARE AND ATTENTION FROM THE AUTHOR.
- Paper focuses on a specific context in which people interact and a specific type of relationship within that context
- Paper focuses on one piece of nonverbal communication
- At least three scholarly sources are to used
- Paper is formatted in APA 6th (MLA or Chicago Permitted) without errors, and meets formatting requirements (length, font size, etc.)
- The log is included at the end of the document
- Uploaded to dropbox on canvas on time (no hardcopies)
Effectiveness of Paper Organization and Argument
- Central Purpose of the paper (the thesis) is clearly explained and a preview statement is illustrated
- The nonverbal communicative act that you chose to investigate further is clearly explained (including the context and some sense of why you focused on the particular nonverbal action)
- Specific details about the nonverbal communicative act you observed are used to support your main idea
- Sources are used to clearly extract deeper meaning about the purpose and influence of the nonverbal communicative act, but they do not substitute for your own observations
- Overall, The argument is high quality, demonstrates critical thinking about theory and concepts related to nonverbal communication
- Paper is free of grammatical errors
- Clear transitions throughout between paragraphs and ideas
- Crisp and clear conclusion that gives readers a sense of the significance of your explanation