managing diversity 13 | cheapassignmenttutors.com
Use the following case study as the basis of this assessment.
Imagine you are the manager of a new health care facility satellite office or community outreach center located in a diverse neighborhood. The parent organization opened the facility to address the underserved health care needs of the culturally diverse residents who were not using the services offered at the main facility. The first month of operation saw a very high volume of patients, but since then, the numbers have dropped off drastically. Executive leadership wants to understand why this has happened and what you plan to do about it.
After careful examination of all aspects of the facility, and talking with some of the neighborhood residents, you have determined that the residents do not feel comfortable coming to the facility because the staff does not represent the diversity of the neighborhood. Staff members were hired for their skill, but their diversity was not considered. Now, you must report to executive leadership what you have learned and how you intend to manage diversity.
Note: Remember, you can submit all or a portion of your draft to Smarthinking for feedback before you submit the final version of your proposal for this assessment. However, be mindful of the turnaround time for receiving feedback if you plan on using this free service.
Write an executive report on the need for a diverse, culturally competent staff, including your plans to address that need.
Note: The requirements outlined below correspond to the grading criteria in the Managing Diversity scoring guide. At a minimum, be sure to address each point. In addition, you are encouraged to review the performance level descriptions for each criterion to see how your work will be assessed. You are provided an example report, to illustrate what proficient-level work for this assessment looks like.
Report Format and APA Style
- Use the Executive Report Template, linked in the Resources, to draft your report. You may also organize the content of your report in a format used in your organization. An abstract is not required.
- Your report should be 4â€“5 double-spaced pages in length, not including the title page and reference page.
- Apply correct APA formatting to all in-text citations and references.
- Use Times New Roman, 12-point font.
As you begin composing your report, consider the purpose of the report, the appropriate tone and style, and the expectations of the executive leaders who will be reading it.
- Be clear and concise in your reporting.
- Express your main points, arguments, and conclusions coherently.
- Use correct grammar and mechanics.
- Be sure to support your claims and arguments with credible evidence from 3â€“5 current, scholarly or professional sources.
- Proofread your writing.
- Outline a plan to recruit, hire, and retain a more diverse workforce. Note: Your outline should be a high-level overview of a plan, not a detailed plan. Other courses in your program will go into human resource practices and diversity in depth. In drafting your plan, consider the following questions:
- How does a leader develop a diverse workforce?
- Where will you look for more diverse employees? Will you post job ads?
- What will the interviewing and hiring process look like? Who will do the interviewing? Who will make the final decisions?
- What kind of incentives will you offer diverse employees to retain them? What do you need to know about the culture and values of diverse employees before developing a retention plan?
- How will you address issues related to diversity that result in conflict?
- Outline a plan for the ongoing training and professional development of existing staff in cultural awareness and sensitivity. Consider how your plan can:
- Improve communications and interpersonal skills.
- Help overcome bias and resistance to change.
- Explain the benefits, to both the organization and the community it serves, of having a diverse and culturally competent workforce.
- Explain the relationship between health care organizations and communities.
- Explain the role that diversity plays in providing culturally competent care and access for the under-served in a community.
- Determine the influence of effective leadership on the development of a diverse and culturally competent workforce.
- Explain the importance of cultural competence for leaders in an organization.
- Explain how the academic and research skills you develop as a practitioner-scholar can serve you in your role as an effective health care leader.
- Explain how those skills might contribute to your credibility and effectiveness as a leader.
- Explain how those skills might prepare you to lead a diverse workforce.